Hi again, I wasn’t planning on writing another post today, but I’ve baked the Earth Day cake I was talking about in my last post and it’s so delicious, I had to share the recipe.
I found the recipe for Earth Day cupcakes on Pinterest a few years ago, with a frosting heart hidden inside. I have tried to replicate this a few times, with varying degrees of success.
Instead, my family prefer the plain cake as it is. The swirls of colour are meant to resemble the earth, with green for land masses and blue for the oceans.
The trouble with the cupcakes is the tops go a lovely golden brown colour and hide the blues and greens until you either bite into them or cut the tops off. To fix this, I thought I’d make a loaf cake so each slice would show the colours off perfectly when served.
I got the basic sponge recipe from the BBC Food website, but that recipe is for a sandwich style cake. To fill a loaf tin, I would recommend increasing the quantities. Here are the actual quantities I used:
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- a few drops of food colouring, blue and green
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas 4
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and smooth
- Beat in the eggs
- Sift in the flour and fold together
- Divide the mixture in two and add blue food colouring to one bowl and green to the other
- Add to a greased or lined cake tin (or make cupcakes) mixing the colours by adding a spoonful of each at a time
- Bake until an inserted skewer comes out clean. This will vary depending on whether you made cupcakes or one big cake. For cupcakes it’s 12-15 minutes, for a loaf cake it’s 35-40 minutes.
As you can see, the mixture didn’t go very far for me and I will be experimenting with larger quantities.
Regardless of the cake being a bit “short”, it went down well. The kids ate it while watching The Lorax and we’ll now be going out to enjoy the sunshine, while it lasts.
Have a great and green Earth Day tomorrow everyone 🌎 🌍 🌏
If you enjoyed the post consider following the blog, either here on WordPress or Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Find me on Social Media