about me, bonus

Well, that was eventful

So, my editorial calendar went completely out the window during the month of October, didn’t it. In my defence, it was an unusually eventful month. Here’s a quick run through what happened in my life over the past 30 days.

I guess it all started during the final days of September. My husband and I were due to take our two children away to Torquay for the weekend at the end of the month. The Wednesday before we were due to go I got called in for a job interview. This was great news, I’d been out of work for almost six months and was eager to get the opportunity to get back to work. I was only given a day’s notice though, so I didn’t have much time to prepare. This stressed me out a fair bit and my anxiety went into overdrive. Right up to less than an hour before my interview, I was trying to convince myself not to go. I did go though, and I’m glad I did because I performed pretty well, (well enough to actually be offered the job, but more on that in a minute).

The next evening, Thursday, our freezer decided to blow up. And when I say blow up, it’s not quite an exaggeration. There was a strong smell of electrical burning and the sound of sparking. I had to turn the freezer off at the plug, bag all the food up and drive the 45 minute round trip to my parents to store our stuff in their freezer. It’s a rented house, and the white goods were built into the kitchen when we moved in, so they belong to the landlord. I sent a message to the landlord, who, conveniently, was out of the country on holiday. I resolved to contact the letting agent first thing in the morning. By the time we woke up on Friday morning the fridge, which was a separate unit, had also decided to give up the ghost. Maybe it was pining for it’s fallen brethren.

Please remember that we were due to go on holiday at 4pm THAT AFTERNOON. I spent the morning on the phone to the letting agent, explaining what had happened, but that we weren’t going to be home until Monday but could they please get a head start on the matter so it could be sorted as soon as we were home.Then I had to bag all the food up, again, drive the 45 minute round trip to my parents, again, to store our food while we were away.As well as all this, I had the usual tasks of making sure the housework was done, the clothes we wanted to take were clean, ironed and packed, as well as trying to take care of our 2-year-old daughter.

The traffic down to the coast was horrendous. Our sat-nav estimated the trip to take us around 3 hrs 20min. In reality, it took over 5 hours. Neither of us slept very well the first night, it was either too dark for my children to sleep, or too bright for me (I have to have it pitch black to be able to sleep properly). My son tossed and turned all night and as such was really tired the next morning. It turned out he was coming down with a cold as he was really ill and miserable the rest of the weekend. It would be too harsh to say the whole weekend was bad because it wasn’t. The weather was glorious and we had lots of fun crabbing, visiting attractions and walking along the harbour.

We got back late on Sunday night and went straight to bed. Monday morning, after deciding that our son was still too ill to go to school, the first thing I did was to ring the letting agent to see if they’d actually made any progress with replacing our fridge and freezer. As predicted, they hadn’t actually moved a finger on it since we called them on Friday morning. They promised to call a contractor to come out that day to sort it for us, meanwhile, we had no fresh or frozen food in the house. Not even milk for a cup of tea.

Two hours passed, and we had heard nothing. I called them again and they said we should’ve been contacted by now, that the contractor was coming later that day. Another two hours passed, at 1pm, we called again and asked for the number of the contractor so we could call him ourselves and see what time to expect him. When we actually spoke to the contractor it turned out that he had only been contacted at 11am and he was self-employed and couldn’t make it that day. So not only were we still without a fridge, freezer, or any fresh food to give the children we had been lied to. My husband was fuming. He called the letting agent and spoke to the owner. Luckily I had a text message from the actual landlord stating that we could buy ourselves a new fridge and freezer and he would reimburse us. We had been reluctant to do this initially, but it was now looking to be our only option if we wanted the problem sorted that day.

So after finding the message, getting a screenshot, uploading it to my computer, and emailing it as proof to the letting agent, off I went to Curry’s with my dad and his credit card. The local Curry’s didn’t have what we needed in stock so I had to drive to the next closest one, which was another 30 minutes away, to get what I needed. This resulted in my dad and husband having to struggle to heft the old, knackered fridge and freezer out, and install the new ones. I’d had to detour to my parents’ house to pick up the food we’d been keeping there in storage. By the time I sat down after mopping up all the mess left by the defrosted freezer it was after 10pm.

That pretty much sums up all the stress of the first few days of October. The rest of the craziness wasn’t all bad news. I’m a bit of a creature of habit though and any disruption to my regular routine can throw me off a bit.

As mentioned earlier, I was offered the job I went to the interview for. I was required to go in for a two-day induction on the weekend of the 8-9 October. Luckily, my mother-in-law and mom stepped in to help with childcare as my husband also works in retail and works weekends. The induction on Sunday was set to start at 8.30am, which was a bit early, but doable!

I’d let the anxiety of the previous two weeks build up and I wasn’t much use at all for the next week. As readers of my other blog posts will know, I use a bullet journal to help organise my life and didn’t even pick it up all that week.

I did manage to adult quite well on Tuesday though. Along with taking both my children to separate swimming lessons, and doing the grocery shopping and a tonne of other housework-type tasks I got my flu vaccination. I was quite pleased with myself for doing this as I had been meaning to do it since my daughter was born. I got it for free while I was pregnant, and since my dad suffers from COPD, it makes sense to protect him by protecting myself. I WAS pleased, until I came down with a nasty cold on Friday, and have been ill ever since. In fact, as I type this I’m still coughing my guts up and sniffling away.

So, that brings us up to date, sorry for the long-winded, rant of a post, but I needed to get all that out of my head so I could draw a line under it a move forward. I’ve actually got a lovely few days coming up. Saturday we have a birthday party to attend, Monday is Hallowe’en (and also my wedding anniversary – 7 years), Thursday is my birthday and the following Saturday we have tickets for Wales Comic Con.

Hope to get back to a more regular posting schedule now. I’ll be taking part in NaNoWriMo for the first time and I’ve just transferred my favourite col
lections into my brand new Leuchtterm ready for the beginning of next week.

Thanks for reading, lovelies


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s